Monday 7 November 2011

Roger Federer thrashing of Japan's Kei Nishikori to win a fifth Swiss Indoors


BASEL, Switzerland: Roger Federer has emerged as the fittest of the tennis elite heading into Monday's start of the final regular event of a long ATP season, the Paris Masters.
The 30-year-old world No.4, who has remained remarkably injury-free throughout a career that has yielded 16 grand slam titles, earned a 58th trophy with Sunday's 6-1, 6-3 thrashing of Japan's Kei Nishikori to win a fifth Swiss Indoors.
''It's been a long time since I felt so good physically,'' Federer said.
''I'm feeling ready and fit and fired up, that's how it's supposed to be. This is the last push of the season and I'm ready for it.''
Federer aside, the top of the Paris field looks particularly vulnerable as another marathon season draws to a close, with next week and the year-end World Tour Finals still to come.
World No.1 Novak Djokovic is doubtful for Paris after re-injuring his right shoulder in his semi-final loss in Basel to Nishikori. Rafael Nadal has pulled out of the Bercy indoor event, ostensibly on fitness grounds.
World No.3 Andy Murray created a stir a week ago when asking for a Basel wildcard. But the Scot then said that an injury to a glute muscle sustained in his sleep left him as another question mark.
Federer, by contrast, appears to be ready to go after another triumph at home. The Swiss leaves with a 29-1 record at his home event over the past six years after playing six straight finals. The tournament is the only non-grand slam tournament where he has won more than 40 matches.
''It's been a great start to the autumn; I think my pause paid off,'' he said. ''I've got different priorities than some of the younger guys who are ranked around me.
''I needed to take that time off. It was best for my mind, my body, my family and my fitness. There is a lot of tennis to be played until the end of the season and it will be packed in early 2012. I want to be a danger everywhere that I play.''
Federer improved to 54-12 this season as he competed in his first final since losing to Nadal at Roland Garros in June.
Federer nailed five aces and broke on four of 13 chances against Nishikori, who was playing his second final of the season after Houston in the spring. The Swiss saved the only break point he faced.
AFP 

Source:SMH

No comments:

Post a Comment